Canyon Bicycles Team

Canyon Bicycles Team
Canyon Bicycles Tour of Utah Team

Don't sweat the technique

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

1st MO State Championships 2011















The ultimatum. . . . The race organizers decided to host both the road and mountain bike state championships on the same day. Effectively cutting into attendance of both. Leaving the few with dual potential in both disciplines to make a decision. I chose off road to avoid team tactics that occure in road racing.
Eyes where on radar during the 24hrs leading up to the race. Current and predicted rain forecast drowned out the enthusiasm of many. The treacherously technical course would scare off the remainder of the unsure.
Arriving to a drizzling course insured no test ride or warm up would happen. Knowingly racing on fast tires with NO traction is not smart. Riding them on rocks and mud is really asking for it. I got the whole shot, led to the single track and for half of the first lap when a group of 6 passed me in a field crossing. I chased them into the the single track where I lost track of who's who as we began to pass lap riders. The course dried up slightly before the finish but many elbows and knees suffered the consequences.
I came out of my pedals many times and with plastic bottom cycling shoes wasn't anymore graceful when pushing the bike. Happy to have stayed off the ground I finished once again in a shell shocked daze of flash back close calls that happened through out the race. Hoping I stayed in the top 3 I was shocked to find I had won.

1 comment:

David Henderson said...

Congrats! That's a nice jersey!